"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Philippians 4:13


Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Visit From Opa

So my dad tries to visit twice a year from Washington. Its always so nice to see him because we just don't get to enough. Every time we see him, we always say, "okay we'll come up and see you next" but that just never happens. At least he seems pretty understanding about it and says its easier for one to travel than for 4. So the bi-annual visits are usually in November -ish and March-ish. So we've been emailing for a while now trying to get his March visit nailed down and it just didn't look like it was going to happen. And then....one Thursday night, he emails me saying he can come that weekend and stay for a week if we're up for it...are you kidding, we're always up for it.

I didn't really have much of a relationship with my dad growing up...it was always just my mom. But as I've become older, married, a parent, and just an adult in general, I think I've come to accept my childhood for what it was...not perfect...and accept my parents for what they are...not perfect. I've realized I can have a relationship with both parents, and make it work, if that's what I really want. And it is. My dad is brutally honest, which I actually really respect even though his answers may not always be exactly what I'm looking for, and he's always up for anything. The last time he was down, Thanksgiving, we all got so sick that the trip was so wasted. I felt so unfulfilled by it and was really bummed that that was how I got to spend one of the only times I would see my dad for the year. However, we were both determined to have a better trip this time. So my dad got in late on a Tuesday after making the long drive from Washington and was able to stay all the way till Sunday.

It was a lot of fun this time around because Van is in that age where he is an incessant questioner. I really thought it would drive my dad a little crazy since my dad is the quintessential bachelor...but instead, he says he's actually missed the little booger's questions since he's been home in the quiet. They formed quite a bond and Van was very sad to see him go, as was I. I was bummed because again, I got sick, this time with a nasty cold/flu bug but luckily I was the only one who had it. I was determined to make it through the week doing the best I could and staying up as late as I could every night, but its just sucky having to be the sick one. My dad and I email a lot and are always in contact, but its really nice to just get to talk in person. I think for those that have always had their parents around, you may take it a little for granted. I have really learned to appreciate the small amounts of time I have with my dad. My mom is always here, we hang out at least every week, and I love having her so close. My dad I have to appreciate from a distance and just soak it all up when he's in close proximity. Here's some pics of him with the kids...




PS We took Ava away from breakfast to take some pics....note to self, never take the food away
PPS I wish we would've thought to take pics more than just the last day
Love,
me

1 comment:

The Doerr Four said...

Thank you for the reminder to not take for granted the precious time we spend with our families. Glad you had a much better time with your dad on this visit.
Your dad looks so much like my uncle from Minnesota.