"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Philippians 4:13


Friday, April 10, 2009

Couples That Play Together, Stay Together

So Mike and I have joined a co-ed softball league that plays on Friday nights. Are you laughing yet? We're actually playing with a good friend of ours, Bryan, and practically his whole family. I have never in my life played baseball or softball so I thought for sure I'd be the worst on the team. I played soccer growing up and was a cheerleader, yes we are athletes, but never softball. But, heck I'll give it a try. Even if I suck, it will be fun to play with Mike and do something together.

So last Friday was our first game, a double header too, and I didn't do too bad. I thought for sure I'd be catching, which really means just standing way behind the plate and throwing the ball back to the pitcher, not really doing much else. But instead, we were short girls, so Bryan tells me I'm playing 2nd base...all night. Oh boy, an actual position, yikes!!

Well I practiced with Mike for 2 weeks (okay it was really just a few nights) fielding, hitting, catching, and throwing. And, I'm really glad I did. The first game I went 2 for 3 with a walk. I actually hit really well. I was quite surprised. Luckily not one ball was hit my direction, at least in the 1st game, so the team was spared my lovely fielding expertise. And, we won.

In the 2nd game, I went 1 for 3 (but the 2 outs I hit were actually decent hits, 1 a line drive to the 3rd baseman that he caught), so it wasn't too bad. However, this team was full of left handed hitters so it seemed like every ball was hit right to me...lowly ole me at 2nd base with my years of experience fielding. I swear I tried my hardest but by the end of the game I think I had 5 errors. The weird thing is that everyone on the team seemed okay with it because everyone else was making errors too and we were playing the championship team from last season. Needless to say, we lost the 2nd game. I was exhausted after playing the two games in a row...man am I getting old or what? I do have to say though, it was really fun getting to be on the team w/ my hubby, taking the field with him, sitting in the dugout with him, seeing him on-deck behind me. And, he was super supportive all night and was always telling me I was doing a good job. I love you for that babe..I know I'm not good, but I'm loving the fun time with you.

I'll make sure to have someone take some pics of us before the season ends so you can see me in my cute softball cleats...with just a hint of pink.

love,
me

1 comment:

mommy nat said...

Good Job Beck!!! That sounds like fun!!