"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Philippians 4:13


Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11

Can you believe that 7 years ago the worst tragedy our nation has seen on our soil happened? It seems like just yesterday. I remember getting a phone call from Mike telling me to turn on my tv because a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center. I was so in a fog I didn't even realize the impact of what he was really saying. I remember driving to school and listening on the radio as everybody talked about it. I remember getting to school and seeing the campus closed and really feeling like something major happened. It wasn't until later that day that it really really hit me. Seeing the actual destruction, watching on tv as survivors were searched for, listening for weeks as the death toll was raised. I think 9/11 was for me what the shooting of JFK was for my parent's generation. I will always remember where I was when I heard about it and remember how I felt. In the recent weeks, Mike and I have caught a few specials here and there about the bombing, talks from survivors, seen video footage of the attacks. And it all still takes my breath away. Its one of those things that breaks my heart watching, but I can't seem to look away. I can't seem to walk away from the tv as I hear someone recall running down 47 flights of stairs to try to get out of the buildings before they crumble. I almost look back at it like it was a dream. Did it really happen? I think wow, this is crazy, I wasn't even there that day, nor did I lose somebody I cared about or had to even count the minutes until I heard they were safe. I can't imagine what the anniversary of that day does to those families directly impacted. I don't know what else to say other than my heart aches for those families, my anger burns for those who thought this was the way to get their point across, and my spirit prays for everyone who watched or listened and was forever changed by that day.

B

1 comment:

The Doerr Four said...

I was just thinking about all of the things that you wrote about in this blog. Thanks for putting it in words. My heart also breaks for the many families affected by this tragedy. We will never forget.ptshv