"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Philippians 4:13


Wednesday, March 5, 2008

She's Here!!


So my last post was just hours before little Ava decided to join our family. Saturday night I was having some back pain but figured it was nothing new since I had back pain a lot during my pregnancies. Of course I was having my normal contractions too, 7-10 minutes apart, and I started to think in the back of my mind maybe this was the night. But I didn't want to get my hopes up so off to bed I went. Around 1230 I woke up thinking I needed to use the bathroom, which was every time I turned over by this point but I was too lazy to get up and go the bathroom and decided to go back to sleep. About 10 minutes later, I felt a small rush of fluid and thought, why was I so lazy to get out of bed, I should've just gone to the bathroom. So I got up, relieved myself, and headed back to bed. Another 10 minutes later, I hadn't even fallen back to sleep yet, another rush of fluid came out and I really thought, it must be my water breaking because I know I just went to the bathroom. So I came out, told Mike, and we got ready to head to the hospital after calling to see if they thought it was my water too. Mike's folks came over since Van was sound asleep and by this point it was about 100 in the morning and I didn't want to move him just in case it was a false alarm. So off to the hospital we went.

When we got there, they did a swab test to see if I was indeed leaking my amniotic fluid, and within minutes it was confirmed and I was admitted to delivery our baby. By the time we got moved into our room and settled in it was about 230am. They checked me to see if I was dilating and of course I wasn't so they called the doctor and busted out the pitosin. By 400 they came back to check me and I was 4cm dilated. I was having pretty strong contractions by then, all back labor by the way, which sucks, and asked for the epidural. My experience with Van was 3 epidurals, all failures so I was a little nervous. But this one was wonderful, within minutes my toes were numb and everything was great. They came back to check me an hour or so later and I was 5-6cm dilated. It was going much faster than it all did with Van and we were very excited. At 630ish, they came to check me again and I was now 9cm dilated. They turned off the pitosin and the contractions just kept coming. Within minutes, I was ready to push, Ava had already worked her was down and was ready to come out. The nurses were still waiting for the doctor to arrive (not my doctor because he was still on vacation) so I was told to just hang in there and don't push even though I wanted to, needed to. So at about 715 I was finally given the go ahead and push, and just a few pushes later, Ava arrived. 739am, 6lbs 9oz, 18 in long, our beautiful little girl was here.


It went so much faster this time around. But all in all, it wasn't too
bad. We were able to leave the hospital after just staying one night and have come home to recover. Van is just obsessed with his little sister. He thinks she is wonderful and almost anything she does makes him laugh or smile. If she sneezes, he says "bless you Ava", if she's crying, he looks at us and says "Ava crying". He wants to hold her all the time and when we ask if he's done he says no. He likes to show her his toys and likes to just sit by her. He kisses her whenever he feels like it too. He is doing really well considering he's not the only little person around anymore and we couldn't be more proud.


In order to keep this blog sort of short, I will cut out now and be back in a few. Enjoy the pics and keep us all in your prayers.

No comments: